Wednesday, March 26, 2008

thoughts on a day job


little yellow birdies, began as a doodle during some work meetings.

so, i have been thinking lately about my job. In the past week or so, I have had a big surge of creative energy, outside of work, and that always makes part of me wish I had more time to dedicate to my personal art.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure if I didn't have the outlet of my job (doing graphic design for a small corporation), I wouldn't have the same kind of creativity outside of work. I really do love my job. Loving my day job energizes the rest of my life; I know this now because I've had jobs I haven't liked, and it totally sucked away all my vitality and spirit. Now I'm content with where I am. I really respect and admire my supervisors, and I enjoy spending time with my coworkers--many of whom I now consider good friends, outside of work. I get to work on some pretty neat projects, too; signage, logos, invitations.

It's not always puppies and rainbows, that's for sure--during our busy times I work late a LOT and it can be stressful and crazy--but for the most part I feel really blessed to have finally found myself at a good place in my career.

Anyway, to bring it back full circle, one of the things I most love about my job is that no one ever seems to care that I draw through about 75% of all the meetings I attend. Last week I made doodles through an entire meeting, and that's essentially what I was there to do. Seriously! It's great.

7 comments:

justem said...

i wish my doodles were that cute!! :)

justem said...

oh and btw (you dont have to post this one if you don't want...)

i have your blog on bloglines, that's how i know when you update...i promise i'm not some crazy blog stalker or anything!!

katielicht said...

don't worry about it, i totally understand!! :)

please sir said...

It's wonderful that you love your job. I'm currently in a corporate wasteland cube world, and it sucks my day and energy. I know if I was in a more creative enviroment I would get more done. I'm looking for that now!

Anonymous said...

I want a print of your yellow birdies!

willikat said...

the birdies are SO CUTE. i wish i had a job!

willikat said...

omg. no way! don't worry about it! it actually gives me hope there are jobs like that out there!!!!